welcome

Welcome!
Come in and Stay Safe! --Sue


Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Grange Favorites: Sixty Minute Rolls





These rolls are light, delicate, with a hint of sourdough, and are ready in about an hour.
Delving into my garage-sale find, "Vermont Grange Favorites", I found this recipe for dinner rolls.  I liked it because it used milk, because it was very simple, and it only takes an hour.  There is very limited risk involved with these rolls.

I added sourdough starter, not to replace the yeast, but to build up the flavor and texture of the dough.  Because I am adding starter, I decreased the milk somewhat.


Sixty Minute Rolls



Ingredients

2 T instant yeast
1 1/4 cup milk
2 T sugar
1 tsp salt
1/2 stick butter (2 oz)

3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup thick sourdough starter (optional).  If you do not have starter, or would not like to use starter, then increase the milk by 1/4 cup and the flour by 2/3 cup. 

Process

1. Heat the first  5 ingredients until warm.  Place in electric mixing bowl, along with the flour and starter; mix well (about 4 to 5 minutes medium speed with dough hook).  Let this rise for 20 minutes. The dough is medium stiffness (see pic below).



2. Turn on floured board and cut into uniform pieces with pastry cutter; pull corners under the piece and pinch together.


3. Allow to rise until almost doubled.
4. Bake in 375F oven for 14 minutes or until done.


5. Serve with cultured butter and homemade jam.  Enjoy!




Here is Heidi, demonstrating that not every idea is a good one:



5 comments:

  1. Awesome Heidi pic! Too funny and VERY cute!
    -Martina

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look wonderful! I love that you added the sourdough starter to pump up kick up the flavor. Sometimes, garage sale finds are the best ones!

    Love little Heidi! She's so sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those look wonderful! I am going to try these - I love sourdough.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm going to tackle this recipe.

    Quick question about the milk.

    Is it One quarter cup of milk or 1.25 c. milk?

    The formula above makes me wonder.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi rl,
    It's one and one quarter cups of milk (1.25 c.).
    When you are forming the rolls, try to not deflate the dough. You are going to cut it up, then just pull the ends together underneath, leaving bubbles in the dough. This will make them very light and tender. You can see that mine are sort of irregular; this is fine. I like these and want to make another batch!
    If you make an elongated version, they make a nice hot dog roll. Split a round one, and it's a perfect slider roll.
    Have fun,
    Sue

    ReplyDelete

Your feedback matters! So please leave a comment. I will do my best to answer all comments! Cheers, Sue